Monday 10 December 2012

Instilling confidence



One of the important realizations I made when I became a Mom to Ammu....Is praising such an expensive affair? Is it creating a hole in our pocket? So then what is the problem? We love hearing a good word from our boss, neighbors and even passerby...Imagine going to work everyday..same old routine same old people ,no response from anyone, no smile no acknowledgement..How would you feel? Happy or despondent? Content or disappointed? Motivated or lethargic? Most of all...confident or deflated?

In our culture or specifically from my homeland I have come across an interesting observation. The elders don't acknowledge our merits rather concentrate on criticism-constructive or destructive..goes in either way. Their belief is is that this is for improvement...But in a way as we grow as adults..are we that confident person  we wanted to be? Aware of our capabilities rather than our disabilities?

No Folks, I am not dissecting the people personalities...I have come across other people too who can find positive aspects to even the most depressing aspects of life...Some of the people I have to truly acknowledge at this point in my life is dad , my reiki teacher, the better half and of course miss little sunshine Ammu. Dear dad will make passing a learners driving test sound like passing a medical final exam...

I realized this when I was talking to my cousin who was pregnant and raised this question? When do you praise a baby? Well my answer to that was Day 1 itself as soon as baby is out. Babies are extremely clever little people.They can sense the positive and negative vibes straight away. In fact patting her when she has nursed or burped well, telling her she is the best ever...If you dont tell her who else will? Arent you doing the noble duty of instilling the first step of confidence?

Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment