Wednesday 19 December 2012

Acknowledgement

Seven good years ago, it was a cold winter night when I landed in the second windiest city in the wold- Melbourne. The first few days were just marvelous....it was just total freedom and I could do what I like, do what I want, eat out to my heart's content, spend Dad's money and what not. This slowly started fading away and loneliness began to creep in...I began to yearn for home where things I used to take for granted was becoming a treasure to me...mom's cooking, dad's concerned words....Most of all I used to miss the mischievous evenings when my sis and I used to take the car out, go for a round to Marine Drive,return back to dress in our pajamas to pretend nothing ever happened when dad and mom came down after their siesta...lols.

Even though as a student, life was great I started realizing a simple fact.Simply telling the other person you love her ( not those flirting days :) mind you) is difficult for most of us...Once I was having a discussion with a friend at work. I told him he is so lucky...He has a great mom and a beautiful girlfriend and that they are both here in Sydney...He confided that both mean the world to him. I asked him whether he could just go and tell mom he loves her and hug her. He then told me he is too shy and more ever Dad might get jealous...lols...

Acknowledgment becomes truly meaningful when the better half joins you for life..especially he made you a cup of tea...bathed your baby..hugged you when you had your scariest nightmares and told you its ok...There there I'm starting to sound like an old romantic of the black and white movies...But seriously its these little things which happens to become the big things later on....

I 'm sure that most of you must have felt at some point in life when you moved out of your parent's home...Other than your own parents and a handful of friends, noone really acknowledges or is truly happy when you are in the top of the world. Majority of the people find joy  and back stab when you have some sort of crisis in  life.

This fact is sure to hit you with real force at some stage in life, but the way each of us react is different. This is when the better half and I came to the decision of raising little miss sunshine with the fullest support and encouragement for every positive and creative thing she comes up with.A wise mom whom I knew for years gave her newly married daughter a thought provoking advice: Ignore those people who's always talking behind your back. That is where they belong, just behind your back.



Speaking of which, I would to share an eye opening experience with you. Recently when I was chatting with a friend on the phone. While I was doing so, Little Miss Sunshine came running up to me to show a crayon scribble she did with the widest smile drawn across her face. I gave a an absolute look of astonishment (partly so that I could still yap away peacefully without annoying her :;) and complimented her saying she did the best job ever. My friend on the other line asked me why was I encouraging her so much  and what was the need. She said that was enough for Ammu to draw a few more pages...

When I discussed this incident with the in house adviser Anu and eventually raised question- Are we doing the right step of encouraging Ammu for every little thing she does? Will she be a disappointed person when she stretches her wings to discover the big bad world on her own?
He had no answer for that...

What do you feel , my dearest audience? Shoot a line...

Love
Chad

4 comments:

  1. Encouraging a child is really very important in every walk of her life .A smile or praise could do wonders.However,as they grow up ,too much praising could bring in a kind of passiveness and they start to doubt the genuinity behind the praise.so my sincere thought on this is...appreciating and encouraging a child is a must ,but without over doing it..
    I do respect any difference in opinion...coz all kids are different and things work differently for each kid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liked that thought on back stabbers!!

      And about encouraging your baby.If you don't do it,who would? Maybe from her teachers, few relatives and friends. The heart felt ones are always gonna come from her parents!

      Also, as parents we need to prepare them for the big bad world out there. So that when the time comes they're all set to face it!!

      Delete
  2. Oh my bad. I didn't mean Encouraging . Absolutely...there is no limit for Encouraging a child ,I was just referring to the praising part.and that is going to be a bit tricky when it comes to different age groups.For babies they need to be praised all the time .for older ones too much of praising for everything might make them oversensitive to criticisms as they grow up
    Again, every parents have their own way of dealing with kids.
    21 December 2012 09:03

    ReplyDelete
  3. of course what will he answer.. nobody has ever stretched their wings to do anything they have only spread them.. but that shouldn't be a problem... coz i will take 'professional help' to stretch as given in ur profile..

    ReplyDelete